Friday, February 24, 2012

The Front

The day was life itself, green and bright.
With blue skies, and fluffy white clouds like cotton candy
Above our heads.
We drove the jeep around the pretty farms,
Over the rolling hills.
Laughing at jokes and jests we made at one another,
Thinking about the girls we've missed.
The ones we have not yet met.

That was moments ago, which now feel like eternity.
All of that what once was, is now gone.
Destroyed.

Soaked, wet and feeling miserable.
Most of all the cold won't leave us,
And the green is now brown.
The skies darken with plumes and billowing smoke.
Not so dark as night, but as impenetrable.
Choking all life, and dirtying everything else.
Nothing is left untouched.

All small talk leaves us, as a scene occurs around us.
Like a movie, tales of chivalry and valor on the battlefield may have came alive.
If only reality wasn't so sinister.
My brothers fall around me, as I hold one
In my arms.
I look outward into nothingness, with the clouds of black smoke
Making my eyes water.

No comments:

Post a Comment